Monday, June 28, 2010

Clever!

So, I was listening to my music late at night(no surprise there) and the song Anna Molly came on, by Incubus. Pretty rockin' song. No profanity, great beat and possibly some of the most clever lyrics I've heard! Well, as far as rock songs go, at least. So the whole point the singer is trying to get across is that he has this image of the perfect girl in his mind's eye, but he's sure she doesn't exhist, which is a bit of an anomaly. Hence the girl's name, as well as the title of the song, "Anna Molly."

Here are the lyrics. If you'd like to hear the song you can find it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uQUIUyRbmQ

"A cloud hangs over this city by the sea.
I watch the ships pass and wonder if she might be (might be)
Out there and sober as well from loneliness.
Please do persist girl, it's time we met and made a mess .

I picture your face at the back of my eyes,
A fire in the attic, a proof of the prize!
Anna Molly, Anna Molly, Anna Molly.

A cloud hangs over and mutes my happiness,
A thousand ships couldn't sail me back from distress. (distress)
Wish you were here and I'm a wounded satellite.
I need you now. Put me back together, make me right.

I picture your face at the back of my eyes,
A fire in the attic, a proof of the prize!
Anna Molly, Anna Molly, Anna Molly.

I'm calling your name up into the air.
Not one of the others could ever compare.
Anna Molly, Anna Molly!

Wait... there is a light... there is a fire...
Illuminated attic.
Fate. Or something better? I couldn't care less,
Just stay with me a while.
Wait... there is a light... there is a fire,
Defragmenting the attic,
Fate? Or something better? I couldn't care less,
Just stay with me a while.

I picture your face at the back of my eyes,
A fire in the attic, a proof of the prize!
Anna Molly, Anna Molly, Anna Molly.

I'm calling your name up into the air.
Not one of the others could ever compare.
Anna Molly, Anna Molly!

Wait... there is a light... there is a fire
Defragmenting the attic, (Anna Molly!)
Fate? Or something better?
I could care less,
Just stay with me a while (Anna Molly!)"

So here's the question: What song do you know of that has admirably clever lyrics? Maybe something that has really good analogies or symbolism, or maybe a song that has just a couple of extremely well-worded phrases that you wish you could have thought of when you were trying to explain how you felt. Leave a comment with the artist and song for us all to look up or listen to. Maybe even be so bold as to explain why you like those lyrics. Most importantly, enjoy the music! It's amazing how music can improve your day!

8 Mini-Babbling(s):

Kellie said...

the only songs I can think of right now are Popcorn Popping and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star....I'll have to think about this one :)

Bethany said...

OH. My. GOSH. Kellie, you totally stole my song. Joel - we suck.

I can't even think of my favorite song. Parenthood turns your brain to jello.

I will be back. When i think of one. Crap.

It's gonna bug me.

T.K. said...

Lol! Well, I suppose those songs have clever lyrics... for primary children. ;) Lol, I'm excited to see what songs you choose!

Natalie said...

"My Milkshake brings all the boys to the yard..."
Oh wait, that's not right.....

Seriously though, it's funny you should bring this up today because I have been singing "Count Your Blessings" all day long. I really needed the reminder today. My favorite part is the last verse -

"So, amid the conflict
Whether great or small
Do not be discouraged
God is over all
Count your many blessings
Angels will attend
Help and comfort give you
To your journey's end"

Angels will attend - how cool is that?

Matty Matt said...

One Friend by Keb' Mo'

Bethany said...

I'm digging that California Gurls song you have on here, even though I hate Katie perry with everything I got.

Natalie said...

Oh, Juliana LOVES that California Gurls song! Everytime I come on your blog, that song starts playing and she gets the biggest grin on her face. So I have no chance but to dance for her - it's not a pretty sight, but she enjoys it. :)

T.K. said...

Haha! I'm glad I'm having an influence in Juliana's life SOMEHOW... And yeah, Katy Perry is a bit eh. But who am I to not post up a song about hot chicks wearing daisy dukes and bikini tops? ;)